About Lea's Foundation

In 1998, Lea Michele Economos, a young woman who died of leukemia at the age of 28, made a dying wish to her parents that others would not face the hardships she encountered by finding a cure for this disease. Her family started this charity to carry on that wish. Today, Lea’s Foundation takes an active role in finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s lymphoma and myeloma and to better the lives of people living with these diseases. At the UCONN Health Center, the Lea’s Foundation Center for Hematologic Disorders sponsors research in this field. A new program covers the cost of bone-marrow testing to help recruit life-saving transplants for patients. Also, annual scholarships are given to children with leukemia who are planning to attend nursery school. For more information on other projects carried out by Lea’s Foundation, please visit their website at www.LeasFoundation.org.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Days 31 & 32: Hospital Vacation!

Eureka, KS to Fredonia, KS - 45 miles (I made it 36 before requiring transport)

Let's just say I didn't have the best night in Eureka. After tossing and turning all night with nausea and vomiting, I woke up still feeling quite ill. Melina was kind enough to run to the gas station to pick up some Pepto, which provided absolutely no relief. I really didn't want to lose mileage, so I figured that I wold push through the discomfort and that it would pass before long. I was wrong. Unable to eat and barely able to drink Powerade, I pushed through 3 hours of misery before I began to feel disoriented and laid down next to a corn field in the middle of nowhere. Melina and Nate were as always super supportive and helped out however they could, including flagging down a nice gentleman passing by in a truck who agreed to drive me to the nearby Fredonia Regional Hospital.

I was received and brought to a room as soon as I walked into the Emergency Department. The staff were amazing and I was seen by the doctor within a few minutes. She decided that I was suffering from dehydration (no surprise, considering the fluid that I had lost from illness) and began "resuscitation" with IV fluids. Unfortunately, I was not feeling much better after a couple of hours and had to be admitted for observation. Melina and Nate were so patient and I am so grateful to have such a supportive team - they were with me in the hospital more than I could expect and made sure that I was comfortable.

On my release the next morning, the doctor made it clear that I was not to ride anywhere that day. I wasn't one for listening, but Melina and Nate were wiser and we got the motel to donate a second night.

No comments:

Post a Comment